A lot of people who read my blogs here and other places have asked me questions about SEO. Although, I am not a SEO expert, over the years I have picked up a few things which are the essential elements of SEO for blogs. I will make an effort to summarize all these essentials in this post so that anyone who is a beginner or having difficulties with SEO can use this as a reference. For free blogging tips and tricks sign up to my subscriber list.
- Content is KING: I have written a post about How Content is King might just be a myth, but in relevance to Search engine optimization Content certainly is important. Quality content and regular updates are one of the main factors to get favorably indexed on Google and other search engines.
- Get your own domain and Hosting: I personally advice getting a domain name and hosting to improve on your blogs credibility and trustworthiness. Google specifically is progammed to identify owned domains and self hosting as parameters for trustworthy sites. Yes, I will be changing over to my own domain and hosting for this blog too, soon. I recommend bluehost for hosting and domain services.
- Buid relevant backlinks genuinely: Never do the mistake of buying backlinks. One of the best ways to build back links is to guest post. Your backlinks should be originating from authority sites, otherwise it is useless in terms of search engine advantages. Keep your anchor text simple and use targeted keywords. Keep in mind, backlinks to your own content is important too!
- Titles are your game changers: Give special attention to your blog post titles. A lot depends on how you write them. Search engines, especially Google is very particular about titles. Keep them between 50 to 70 characters. Include target keywords wisely and position them in the beginning of the title.
- Use a SEO optimized theme: Make sure your theme is adequately SEO optimized. It should be coded well, loads easily and is fast. An optimized theme makes it easier for Google to find your content and index it. No broken links should exist which will hamper smooth navigation.
- Keywords in your post: Use keywords in your post content. Make sure you use relevant keywords for your images also. Keywords should be positioned naturally in your content. Keywords can be used in your Headings and sub headings also.
- Place a sitemap: Installing a sitemap makes it easier for Google and other search engines to index your blog posts, archives and pages better. Use this sitemap generator for best results.
- Diligently comment on other blogs: Commenting on other niche blogs in your domain can help your SEO strategy. It helps you in increasing your traffic as well as building backlinks.
- Improve your social media presence: Use your social media profiles to increase traffic and appreciate your SEO efforts. Google measures your site authority and credibility based on social media shares and prominence your content is getting on these channels.
- Use SEO plugins: Install wordpress SEO plugins to get help with your SEO strategy. SEO plugins automatically optimizes your blog for Google.
Have I covered everything? Do you think I missed any tips? Do leave me a comment if you have anything to add to this list.
Feel free to share this list with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or via email. If you would love to get more interesting tips, free stuff and updates from me you can SIGN UP for my email list.